Saturday, November 27, 2010

Taking a bite of the Big Apple

We've made it to the big city. Andrew and I are here in New York for our 4th anniversary. This trip was a surprise for me. Andrew had been planning it and keeping it a secret for 2 months. I can't believe he didn't slip up and say anything. His family was in on the secret too and they had to hold it in as well. They did a great job keeping their poker faces on.
Andrew and I had a date night at home a few weeks ago. The kids were with his parents so we went to the store and bought a couple of puzzles to do together. One of the puzzles we picked out was a panoramic photograph of Times Square. We had been working on the puzzle little by little for the last few weeks and had talked a few times about how we would love to go to NYC.
On the eve of our anniversary we finished the puzzle. The next morning, Andrew told me it was time to open my present. He told me to go downstairs and clear off the dining room table because my gift was big and needed a flat surface. I went downstairs and was confused. I asked him if he wanted me to take the puzzle apart and put away. I picked up the puzzle box and found it much heavier than an empty box should be. I asked him if I should open the box and he said yes. Inside was a book wrapped in blue paper. On the outside he had written, "Pack your bags. We leave Friday." I unwrapped the book. It was Fodor's 2011 Guide to New York City. I was so excited and so surprised. I asked him if he was serious. Of course he was.
We left the kids with Grandma and Grandpa, flew out of Seattle Friday morning and arrived in Newark, New Jersey on Friday afternoon. The flight was the most pleasant one I've been on in a while. I loved flying over the US. We looked down across the snowy plains, saw the Great Lakes and the rolling green hills beyond. We came in just over the New Jersey Turnpike. When we landed in Newark, I couldn't help but think of the Sopranos. Looking down on the city reminded me of the landscape of the show. Thankfully we didn't have any mob run ins.
From the Newark airport, we took the Air Train to New York's Penn Station. We were finally in the Big Apple! The subway system is huge! It would take weeks and beyond to figure it all out. I'm so glad Andrew is with me, otherwise I would be lost already. The streets were very crowded with Black Friday shoppers and lots of trash heaps from the parade on Thanksgiving. We walked past Macy's on 34th Street and on to our hotel which is on the corner of 35th and 5th Ave.
After we got settled into our hotel, we decided we should go see Times Square and grab some dinner. We took the subway again. Again, I cannot believe how huge the underground transportation is in this city. It's a fantastic way to get around. We got off at Times Square and immediately we were surrounded by the big lights of the city. It was so awe inspiring to see the huge buildings and lighted signs. Pictures don't do it justice because you can't understand how enormous it is until you are standing in it. We took many pictures, walked into the giant Toys R Us, and then went on to our restaurant - Sosa Borella. It was an Italian-Argentine restaurant. I enjoyed sangria, Andrew a beer. We shared the picada which was a meat and cheese appetizer. It was delicious. The bread and pesto was also very enjoyable. Andrew had the fettuccine with prawns, broccoli and a spicy red sauce. I had a spinach ravioli with lamb bolognaise and ricotta. Both dishes were scrumptious!
We decided we would grab some postcards to send to family. Nobody sends postcards anymore! Kinda cheesy, but fun. Then we went to Macy's on 34th. It was amazing and magical to step inside the building. It is obviously an old building that hasn't been updated in a while, but the Christmas decor and the bustling shoppers made it come alive. We used what we are guessing was the original escalator. It was wooden and kind of rickety. But still in good working condition. There were floors and floors and floors of women's clothing. Andrew told me I had to buy something. I just couldn't pick something out. I kept finding things I liked but there was so much to choose from. Maybe we'll go back later and I'll be able to choose. We didn't even find the men's department or the children's department. We had already gone up 6 floors and it was late so we decided to head back to our hotel.
We have much more to see!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds absolutely amazing!! Happy 4th Anniversary! Enjoy your time away!

    ReplyDelete