Thursday, March 1, 2012

Back to School?

I have recently visited the idea of returning to school. I have always known that one day I would love to go back and finish. Technically, I did finish a degree, but not the degree that I hoped for as my ultimate goal. I had been planning on becoming a nurse before I got pregnant with Judah. Then we went down the parenting road and that has been one of my main focuses these past three years. Andrew and I are both open to our family growing in the future, but we both know that now is not the time. My thought has been this: If I am going to finish school, shouldn't it be sooner rather than later? If I wait until I am completely finished having kids, I'll have even more distractions that will be competing for my attention. If I finish now, I'll be set for the future when all of the kids are in school one day and I can return to the work force.
It's just a thought for now, but I've been toying with the idea and trying to get a handle on when the best time would be.
It's stressful, because I hate the thought of hiring someone who would basically be doing my job as a mom. In some ways it would be good, in others ways, I can't help but feel like it would be bad. It's silly though, because in reality millions of families do it every single day and it works out well. Can we be one of those families at least for the time being to prepare ourselves for a better future?
Giving up part of my mothering role would only be one of the challenges that I would face. I would have to study my butt off for something like 30-40 hours a week. Finding time to do that sounds impossible, but I know that harder things have been done.
I'm trying to find the motivation and the strength within myself to see if this is worth pursuing. I know that if I go for it, I have to go after it with all of my might. I keep telling myself that I can do anything that I put my mind to. I suppose one of the reasons I want to go back to school is to prove to my kids one day that it can be done even when the odds are stacked against you.

No comments:

Post a Comment