Friday, March 23, 2012

Spring Cleaning

Well we are home from our amazing trip. It took a while to readjust to the time difference. Our sleep was off and we were waking up at 4 am to eat breakfast. It was a little bizarre, but things seem back to normal now.
I feel like my head is swimming lately. All of the sudden it seems like there is so much to do that I can barely think straight.
I discovered earlier this week that preschool enrollment begins in February at all schools in the area. I was way behind. I hadn't toured one single school or gotten any information at all. As most classes are nearly full, I am scrambling to find the right preschool for Judah this fall. He will be 4 in August. I can't believe how time has flown. Is he really old enough to start school?
Next on the list is my 10 year high school reunion. I did not know that I would be so involved in planning this event. It seems that the people who typically plan the reunion just don't have time or frankly aren't interested in planning. Because I liked the people that I graduated with, I want to make sure we have a good party. So I have stepped up to the plate a bit and am trying to figure out where we can have this event. Have I mentioned that it's only 3 months away and we have yet to determine a venue or a budget. Why is it so difficult to get people to respond? It seems like a good portion of our class is interested in attending, but when I ask for feedback I am greeted with silence. It's not making planning very easy. At this rate we'll end up with just a small group, but that might not be such a terrible thing.
Also on my plate is the task of getting ready to move. We won't be moving until the middle of summer, but we will be downsizing quite a bit. Therefore I need to pack our now 2400 square foot house to fit into about 1200 square feet. We are moving in with Andrew's parents to save a good chunk of money so that we can eventually buy a house. (If the bank ever takes back our old one. Yep, we're still waiting!) I need to come up with a way to make everything fit without having our new space feel cluttered and stifling. I am trying to pack away as much as I can beforehand and also get rid of all the junk and clutter that I won't want to put away in storage. I hate the idea of opening boxes full of junk in a new home. That would be the ultimate headache. The kids will also be sharing a room at Andrew's parents', which brings me to another task:
Moving Audrey into a twin bed. We need to get her out of her crib pretty soon here. We just took her pacifier away earlier this week. She has had kind of a rough time with it. The first few days were the worst, but last night she slept without crying for it. Today she even fell asleep for her nap without asking for it. I think she is on her way to forgetting about it. Now that she is pacifier free, I feel like we can move forward to the next step of getting her into a big girl bed. We'll probably wait a few weeks so that it's not too much change all at once.
In the midst of all of this, I am trying to make a budget so that we are saving as much money as possible. The more money we save the shorter the amount of time we will be living with the in-laws. We have gotten pretty comfortable with the way we spend money and we have not been very frugal. I would like to learn how to live more minimally and save as many pennies as I can along the way.
In thinking about a new house I have also been searching for new decorating ideas. Our hope is that we can buy kind of a fixer upper. That way it will be a less expensive home, but we can do some work on it to make it fit with our family.
Can you see why my head is spinning lately?

2 comments:

  1. Check out Financial Peace University...worth EVERY CENT for learning how to put together a workable family budget. Honestly, the concepts in the material are life-changing, and have been SO awesome for our marriage, communication, and plan for our income and our future. We opted to buy the at-home DVD kit to do on our own instead of taking a class through a church - same stuff but don't have to pay for a babysitter and you can do it at your own pace ;-) No matter what your situation and income, it is worth it. We went through a short sale before moving to CO, and are basicaly starting over saving up for a house eventually. We have no debt (which it talks a lot about, and lays out the perfect plan to get out of any debt), but we also had no $$ after going through the short sale, and we weren't saving, so this has been pivitol in our lives and I can't recommend it highly enough. Mary Frances and Josh did it too - check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and we moved in with the in-laws for a few months when we moved to CO, so I know how hard it is to pack up to fit into a smaller space for a while!! Sounds like you're moving in the right direction though - blessings on your efforts getting ready :)

    ReplyDelete