Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Blessings. Two of them.

When the going gets tough, it isn't always easy to look at the bright side. It's no surprise that when Andrew is out of town, the kids and I seem to butt heads much more often. This week has been no exception. Judah has been giving me such a rough time this week. From tantrums to manipulating to lying, it's not his usual MO. For some reason when dad is gone, the rule book goes out the window.
On top of parenting by myself this week, we are all fighting off a cold. I have been feeling pretty under the weather and in turn have had very low energy. The weather has turned much colder and the thought of getting out and about does not seem appealing to me this week. I'd rather stay curled up at home in a sweatshirt, wrapped in blankets nursing my ailments.
I have been meaning to take some outdoor pictures of the kids with the beautiful colors of fall. There is a group of trees along our street that had lost it's perfectly bright yellow leaves this week. I drove past them several times, promising myself that as soon as it was dry enough we would walk down there and take some photos. Unfortunately, when I drove by this morning, the leaves had all been cleared away by a landscaper. I was so bummed. They were the perfect color.
We spent the afternoon at home, cozied up in the house staying out of the rain. At about 3 pm, the sun suddenly began peeking through my bedroom window. It cast a beautiful orange glow over the yard. It as then that I realized we have maple leaves in our own back yard. How silly of me to forget that our neighbor has a giant maple tree. You have to remember that I have only lived here three months.
I gathered up the kids, threw on our boots, snagged my camera and a rake and stomped outside. I raked up a few piles for the kids to throw around and jump in. Even though the leaves were damp, the kids were so happy. I did my best to snap as many photos of them with the sun radiating it's perfect amber beams on us. Judah became over the top excited and kept bombarding me in the legs and back with leaves. I was getting frustrated. I just wanted a few good pictures of them in the leaves and he was making it so difficult. I had to do a lot of coaxing to get him to face me, smile and throw leaves everywhere. Aren't kids just supposed to do that stuff naturally?
I hadn't looked through the pictures until this evening after they have gone to bed. I love how an instant on camera so perfectly captures their livelihood. The pure joy and delight in Judah's face when he destroys a pile of leaves is so eminent. He is grinning from ear to ear in almost every single picture. It made me stop and think: Let him be a boy. Let him be rough. Let him be silly. Let him break things that can be broken. Let him run wild.
And Audrey, my sweet Audrey. I cherish her free spirit. She has this carefree joy and delight that spills into everything she does. There are a few pictures of her with her hands thrown up into the air. It captures the very essence of who she is. I was reminded to never stifle that. Cultivate it. Give her room to run and breathe and be who she is.
I love my children. A given, I know. I needed that little reminder of skimming through those photos that they are such a delight. They bring me so much joy. I only hope that I can give to them the same joy and happiness that they bring to me every day.












No comments:

Post a Comment