Friday, February 5, 2010

Is it spring already?

We have been having some unusually warm days thus far this year. I am definitely a fan! If we aren't going to have a real winter with snow and ice, this is the next best thing. Normally at this time of year, you would find me complaining about the cold, gray rainy days that we tend to see on a regular basis around western WA. The past few weeks, however, we have had several days that have felt like downright spring! Today was no exception. It rained most of the night last night, but early in the day, the sun began to peak through the clouds and spent the rest of the day breaking up the clouds completely. It was lovely! I'm going to guess that our temps were in the mid 50s around the Puget Sound.

This morning, I wasn't so sure that today was going to be a good day. I woke up around 5 am, which has been the norm lately. I have no trouble falling asleep, though I can't seem to actually shut down my brain until after 11 pm. I stay asleep for several hours, even fall back to sleep very easily after using the bathroom 2 or 3 times during the night. But for some reason, when those early morning hours come, I cannot for the life of me fall back to sleep. It's as if my brain is ready for the day, but my body is not. Unfortunately, my brain wins and I stay awake. I don't start to feel like I could actually go back to sleep until around the time that Judah wakes up for the day. It feels perfectly awful to be sleep deprived for no reason at all, especially knowing that very soon I will be sleep deprived for a very good reason.

This morning was a little bit different, however. Judah woke up about an hour after I did. I thought he would go back to sleep after I went in and changed his diaper. He did not. I was kind of relieved because I was already wide awake and this only meant that he would take his nap time very early in the day if he was ready to get up for the day at 6 am. We went downstairs and made breakfast together. Oatmeal with applesauce and a scrambled egg with shredded cheese. He devoured his breakfast in his usual fashion. I thought for a minute about trying to put him back to sleep, because sometimes he will go back to sleep after he has had an early breakfast. But he was in such a happy mood, ready to play with all of his toys. I decided to wait it out, as this would mean a longer nap time for both of us later. I tried to busy myself as my tiredness began to set in. I started cleaning the kitchen and folding some laundry. We played together for a while on the floor, but my eyes were quickly drooping shut and I was having a hard time staying awake. I decided to recline on the couch and just let Judah play. He was so happy to entertain himself that it didn't bother him a bit. I would doze off now and again, but he thinks it's funny to see me falling asleep and decided to come put all of his toys in my lap. He kept playing happily, but would continue to involve me in his play.

At about 8 am, I decided that he had to be tired from waking up so early, even if he wasn't acting like it. I couldn't stop thinking about my cozy bed upstairs, so I pulled Judah's favorite blankie and his blue bear out of the dryer. They were warm and soft, perfect for snuggling up to in his crib. I told him we were going to take a nap and he quickly headed for the stairs with blankie and bear in hand. I laid him down in his crib and couldn't dive under my own covers fast enough. I thought he was going to sleep and quickly dozed off myself, but Judah was having a little party in his crib. He kept kicking the crib bars and even started opening and closing his closet doors. Oh great, I thought. He just isn't going to sleep, I suppose. I couldn't help myself from dozing in and out of consciousness, my body fighting for sleep, but my mind waking up at every one of Judah's slightest noises. Finally at 9 am, when I realized that I had to go to the bathroom (as usual), I got up out of bed, facing the realization that good sleep would have to wait a few more hours. But as I walked quietly to the bathroom, I didn't hear any more noise from Judah. I finished my business and went back into my room. All was quiet for at least 10 minutes. I decided it might actually be safe to lay back down. I was right. I slept until about 11:30. It felt so wonderful. I even had time to shower before Judah woke up around 12:15. I was right, the boy was tired! I guess he just needed a little Judah time in his crib before he succumbed to the sleep monster.

Judah and I had a nice lunch together. Meal time can be so hit and miss with him. I decided to break into my new supply of Costco freezer food that was mostly purchased for after the baby is born. I know that I won't have a lot of time to prepare good food, so we bought some quick and easy things to make out of the freezer. Much to my luck, Judah loves edamame. I popped a package in the microwave while I made a smoothie out of these new Yoplait fruit smoothie packets that I found. They are frozen blueberries, strawberries and raspberries along with frozen chunks of yogurt. Add 1 cup of milk to the mix and whirl it up in the blender for a minute and a half and you have a delicious and fairly healthy smoothie. Needless to say, Judah loved watching me use the blender. His eyes were so wide with the loud noise. He kept saying "Whoa!!" I grabbed a whole wheat bagel for us to share and spread some peanut butter on top. It was a perfect lunch. I felt fantastically energized after eating. I am sure that my nap had something to do with it too.

Andrew came home from work early so that I could head off to my 38 week appointment. Before I left, he suited Judah up in his rain boots and took him outside to stomp in puddles and play on the swing set. I was sad I had to leave and miss out on the fun they were going to have. Apparently, Judah's pants were covered in mud when they were done.

Dr. Chien and I had a quick visit. I actually had some questions for her this time. I asked her when I'm supposed to call when I go into labor. She told me that after an hour of contractions that are 5 minute apart is when I should come to the hospital. We talked about how we really don't have any frame of reference of how this labor is going to be since nothing about my previous labor with Judah was natural. It definitely leaves an element of surprise. She checked my cervix again and said that it seems I'm about 1 cm dilated but 0% effaced. Not too surprising at this point. She asked me if I had any other questions or concerns and I told her how I've been sleeping terribly. I'm sure it's not the first time she's had a patient who is 9 months pregnant complain about their crummy sleep. She asked if I've tried Tylenol PM, which I have. I told her it makes me feel really dehydrated the next day. Then she suggested I try Ambien. I was so relieved! I had taken Ambien when I was in the hospital on bed rest with Judah. It didn't make me feel groggy at all, but definitely helped me to get a full night of rest. So she sent the Rx over to my pharmacy. I am looking forward to getting some quality sleep during the night so that I can actually feel awake and alive during the day.

Speaking of which, I think it's about time for some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment