Monday, November 23, 2009

It's Thanksgiving Time!

I was so excited to get started on my Thanksgiving baking and shopping this year! I love making pumpkin pie. It's one of the highlights of the holidays for me. This year, since we are celebrating Thanksgiving with my family on Wednesday and Thanksgiving day with the Michels, I will be making several dishes. I am taking a cranberry orange chutney, candied yams, and mashed potatoes to my parents' house on Wednesday. Thursday I will be bringing two delicious pumpkin pies to the Michels' house.
With all of this cooking, I had to start early. This afternoon, while Judah was taking his nap, I started on my pie crusts. I am so happy because I came up with two new techniques that proved to make the job much easier and more efficient.
I used my food processor to blend the flour mixture with the shortening and butter instead of doing it by hand. The dough ended up being much more evenly blended and there wasn't a pile of flour at the bottom of the bowl when I was done mixing the rest of the ingredients together. Then I rolled the dough out on a sheet of wax paper which kept my counter top from getting too messy. To place the dough into the pie plate, I simply inverted the wax paper and pushed the dough into the plate. Quite simple and much less mess!
Now my crusts are freezing until Wednesday when I will assemble the pie fillings and bake the pies.
Tomorrow I will make the chutney and the yams so that I have minimal work to do on Wednesday.
I love holiday cooking and baking!

Tomorrow is also mine and Andrew's 3rd anniversary. At times it feels like much more time has passed than just 3 years, only because so much has happened. These 3 years have been the best of my life. I wouldn't trade them for anything. I can't wait to see what the future holds for Andrew and I and our little family.

No comments:

Post a Comment