Monday, January 18, 2010

For the Love of my Little Man

This morning when I got Judah up out of his crib, we shared a very tender moment together. He is usually quite energetic in the morning, not too interested in cuddling with me and very excited to eat breakfast. This morning was a little bit different. He was his usual chatty self, but when we got downstairs and started turning on the lights, all of the sudden he just relaxed in my arms and rested his sweet boy head on my shoulder. I didn't think it would last long, but tried to savor it for a few seconds before he quickly became interested in something else. But he stayed put like that with his short legs wrapped around my now very large belly and his arms spread wide across my shoulders. I stroked his messy bed hair and realized that we will be having fewer and fewer moments like this as the shift and transition from being an only child to being a big brother comes into play. I'm going to remember this morning and cherish his tender sweetness.
I felt so blessed again as I checked on Judah before I crawled into bed, as I do every night. I crept over to his crib and saw his sweet little body lying on it's side, snuggled into his ducky quilt. He began to stir a little bit and I was afraid for a moment that I had woken him up so I stepped back for a moment. I watched him as he shifted in his sleep and it reminded me so much of when he was just a few months old. His sweet little innocence shining through his face as he slept peacefully. I stood there and stared for a few moments and wondered why he has to grow up. Why does he have to go from this very innocent, sweet, tender state and grow up to know about all of the awful ugly polluted things in this world. I wish I could protect him from all of it. I wish I could envelope him in some kind if shield that would keep him from becoming tainted by what the world has to offer. I cherished that moment as I looked down at his sweet, peaceful face. What a tremendous blessing he is to my life. It almost brought me to tears. Growing up is hard.

SIGH

This afternoon my brother and sister-in-law came over to watch Judah while I ran some errands. It was nice to be able to get so much done and not be exhausted from hauling around a toddler at the same time. I went to Target and shopped for several things that we'll need after the little miss arrives. Unfortunately there are still a few other things I need, but I'm going to wait until after my baby shower on Sunday to see if I get any of it there.
After Target I went to the pet store to get Bauer his cat food. Then it was on to the grocery store for this week's food. I came home to find a very happy little boy, thoroughly enjoying his time with his auntie and uncle. They said they had a great time watching him and that Judah was so easy and happy. It made me happy to hear that he did so well. I wasn't sure how he would do at first because he's never been alone with them before. Jacob and Megan even said they would like to do it again some time. Sounds great to me!
I invited them to stay for dinner. It was the least bit of thanks I could do for helping me get so much done today. I made spaghetti as that was what I was craving when I ran through the grocery store. It was nice to visit with them for a little while. Our visits with them are too few and far between. I need to make them more regular.
Judah was ready for bed as soon as we finished dinner. Andrew went to take him upstairs but asked him if he could give me a kiss first. He ran back to me and kissed me, or rather let me kiss him. Then he proceeded to give rounds of kisses to Megan, then Jacob, then back to me and everyone else again. I know I'm biased and all, but he's such a doll. Melts my heart. How did I get such a sweet kid?

No comments:

Post a Comment